Father’s Day is that time to shower the best man in our lives with extra attention and love. Although an expensive gift can make for an excellent Father’s Day present, nothing can beat spending quality time with your Dad.
If you’re wondering how to make the day extra special for your father, here’s a list of fun things Father’s Day ideas that are memorable than a traditional gift:
1. Spend Quality Time at Home
On a budget? Don’t underestimate the amount of fun you can have by celebrating at home. Whether it’s listening to old records together, playing board games, having a BBQ in your backyard, or enjoying family movie night, you can make the day a memorable one for your old man.
2. Bond Over Food
Many happy memories revolve around food! Whether your Dad is a food connoisseur or not, here are some ways to bond over food and have a fun Father’s Day:
- Whip up a delicious breakfast in bed for him that has all his favorites.
- Plan a BBQ night. But instead of letting Dad take over the grill (as usual) let him teach you how to do it or show him your skills. Either way, he can sit back and relax.
- Spend some time making a homemade pizza together. You can each toss on your favorite toppings for a pizza party at home.
- Cook a meal together. Find a new recipe you’re both interested in and work together to make it happen.
- Reserve a table at your Dad’s favorite restaurant. He’ll always be down to visit his favorite spot.
- Take him on a craft brewery tour. Brew Pubs are popping up everywhere, so visit a selection of local spots to sample their brews. Just do it responsibly.
3. Treat Your Dad to a Day of Sports
We don’t want to generalize, but most Dad’s have a favorite local sports team they follow. So why not spend the day at a ball game or any other sporting event your Dad is in to. You’ll be able to bond over a few hours and it will give him the chance to cheer on his team.
4. Enjoy the Great Outdoors
If your Dad is an outdoors enthusiast, there’s no better way to spend this Father’s Day than exploring and enjoying nature. Here are some activities you can indulge in:
- Take a walk through your Dad’s local park or find a new hiking trail.
- Go camping. You can even hunt together and spend the night swapping stories by a camp fire.
- Head to a nearby lake or pond and spend the day fishing, boating, or jet skiing.
- Go for a bike ride through a forest preserve or even all over town, stopping for snacks and refreshments.
- Pack a picnic, head to the beach and soak up the sea and sunshine.
5. Try Something New
If you want a really memorable day, why not give Dad a brand new experience. If Dad is getting up there in years, there’s probably not a lot he hasn’t seen or done, but there are new and exciting activities popping up every where. Why not strap on some goggles and let Dad try VR for the first time (just get your camera ready). And unless your Dad is a real-life lumberjack, he probably hasn’t been Axe Throwing before. Taking Dad to a new experience – like Axe Throwing at FlannelJax’s – can be the perfect activity to have some fun, spend time together, and make a lasting memory.
Make the best of this Father’s Day!